Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Faux Tile technique - making use of sticker stash


   Do you hoard your old stash or donate it?  I do a little of both.  And I have some that I keep, yet have not used in years...and it haunts me.  These Creative Imaginations stickers were haunting me:

 
  The first (and only) time I used them was for a Mother's Day card I made in 2008.  Yep.  Old stash.  I thought I could use up those last four pink and orange-yellow squares, but update them by turning them into tiles.  I came across some tiny butterflies that I had punched from K& Co. "Que Sera Sera" and put into a tiny ziploc bag when I was actually looking for something else.  I put the butterfly bag on my craft table before I had a chance to forget I had them.

  Faux tile tutorial:
I carefully snipped the four sticker squares apart, then separated them on the sticker sheet by placing them in another open spot.  Then I added glossy accents to each square to make it look like a tile.  I carefully placed a butterfly in the wet glossy accents, then added a little more glossy accents to the butterfly.  They took about 2 hours to dry.

  Time to make a card!  Uh oh...I donated my "Que Sera Sera"papers in my craft room purge last year...but the butterflies are tiny enough to match something else, right?  I found a good match with my BasicGrey "Indian Summer" pad.  I used Spellbinders Nestibilities squares to cut the window and frame in the large pennant.  The smaller banner is a PTI die.  The sentiment is a rub-on by American Crafts "Ginger".

  Except for the PTI small banner die, everything I used to make this card is from 2008 or 2009.  Old stash, but not seriously old (I still have stuff from 1998 when I started crafting!)  If your old stash haunts you too, I hope you participate in the weekly challenges at SOS (Shopping Our Stash.)  It assuages my guilt a little to use my older stash and I like to challenge myself by trying to take the old and use current trends to make it feel new.  This week's SOS challenge:

I went horizontally across the bottom row:
sparkle/sentiment/yellow

  I hope this inspires you to use your stickers or something from your older stash.

Happy Wednesday!

14 comments:

~amy~ said...

genius...I probably have those very same stickers. I love how you've revitalized them!

snappy scrappy said...

Neat idea to use them up! Lee-Ann :)
oops...forgot to say...pretty card!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You totally ROCKED those old stickers!!!! This looks AMAZING!! I absolutely loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the colors!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

Carissa said...

Great card friend love the technique. And thanks for inspiring me to use some old stuff. I'm a terrible hoarder too!

jimlynn said...

Great technique and a fabulous card!!! Love the design and papers you used too. Wonderful way to use up those stickers!
Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash.
Lynn

Linda B said...

Way to go, June, and what a clever technique. Love those fall colors!!!
Hugs!

Danni said...

How clever! I haven't looked at my stickers for years...might have to pull them out! Wonderful card!

Linda said...

I am loving all the ideas to use what you have and recreate it. This is a wonderful idea. It is so much fun to get more use out of your old stuff. I am having a lot of fun doing swaps at YPP.
Your card is wonderful and I love the faux tile.

Missy said...

So pretty June, the tile looks so elegant! I'm kind of-ish hoarding...I do have some stuff I need to donate, that's for sure!!! ;)

Rica said...

Hi June, hope all with you is well.
I love your fabulous CAS card, your Indian Summer paper are fabulous and I love the sweet image.

hugs
Heather xx

lauren bergold said...

a BRILLIANT use of stash (& of tic-tac-toe strategy!) and a verrrrry cool tutorial! as usual, you are ALWAYS thinking (& crafting!) smarter!!! ♥♥♥

Glimpses of My Heart said...

June - Very inspirational!! What a great idea for the stickers! Love that idea! And you rock at saving and using your stash! ;) Thanks so much for joining us at SOS this week. Can't wait to see what you have for us next week!
Blessings,
Michelle

Carla said...

Well how clever are you! I love this card! Too cute. Thanks for joining us at SOS!

Melissa Shea said...

Crafters don't "hoard", we "collect". Ha! And yes I own a LOT of collect items. *Fist bump* for using your stash :)