Thursday, January 31, 2008

Colored Pencil card


I colored this image today. I'll bet it has been at least 4 years since I used my Prismacolor pencils! This is for my dear friend, Martha. Her husband, Russell, passed away earlier this week. Whenever I think of Russell I think about his easy smile and wonderful sense of humor. Mostly I remember the way he looked at Martha. He adored her! In his eyes you could see how he worshipped her.
Martha and I met and became friends from shopping and taking classes at a local stamp store, when I lived in Charlotte, NC. Our birthdays are only one day a part (and 35 years), so we are both Libras :) It was Martha who got me interested in scrapbooking. I remember we (a group of 7 ladies...we all met and became friends through stamping and started our own club. We got together monthly for luncheons and called ourselves "The Supremes" because our first official meeting convened on the same day as the Supreme Court) were having a luncheon at my house and Martha said she was thinking of crossing over into scrapbooking. Imagine our shock and horror! This sounded like blasphemy! But Martha, Kaye, and I met a few days later at the Memories store in Matthews/Mint Hill, NC (just outside Charlotte). After seeing their sample scrapbook pages, I too was hooked! It was like making cards on a larger scale, with photos as your image(s) rather than a stamped image. It may have been around this time that Martha did a nice re-organization of her craft room. I am guessing she had at least $10, 000 in ink pads, embossing powders, stamps, cs, etc. You know, the "essentials". Martha always removed her price tags off of her stamps. It was about this time when Russell went into Martha's craft room and said, "You must have $100 worth of stuff in here." Men usually have no idea what a small piece of wood and rubber can cost :) God Bless, you, Russell. You were a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather.

5 comments:

Amy Sheffer said...

JUNE! What a beautiful new picture of you! And that card is gorgeous. Love your coloring. Such a sweet story about Martha and Russell too :)

lauren bergold said...

well that is a lovely card for a woman who sounds equally wonderful! (well, she's friends with miss JUNE so she must be nice!) i am very sorry for your loss and for martha's, but know that your friendship--and thoughts, and card-- will be of great comfort!

xolb

Tracy said...

oh you finished it - it looks lovely and martha will appreciate it like no one else :-)

Corie said...

This is a beautiful card.

Love the new picture!!

Ila said...

This card is Beautiful June!!..I'm sure Martha will love it. Thanks also for sharing that little story.