Friday, October 8, 2010

Happy Birthday, Martha! Breast cancer survivor :)

Life without friends is like a garden without flowers. These ladies pictured are 3 of my most cherished girlfriends (pictured left to right): Kaye, (me), Sharon, and Martha. I am very fortunate to have had a close circle of girlfriends when I lived in NC. We took weekly field trips to the local scrapbooking store and the tri-fecta: ACMoore, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby. Martha was the person who got me interested in scrapbooking! This picture was taken around the time Martha was diagnosed with breast cancer. We all knew she would beat it; she truly is the strongest woman I have ever known. After she defeated breast cancer, she was diagnosed with lung cancer. Martha outlived her diagnosis by two full years! Martha passed away on March 17, 2010. Today she would have been 79 years old. I think about her every time I sit down to create. When I think of her, I do miss her, but I try not to focus on the date October 8th or March 17th, but rather the "hyphen" in between. Martha LIVED her life. I love you, Martha :)
I think embossing adds so much class to a card or LO. I tried something new for this LO (new for me)...I had these pretty vellum stickers in my stash, and I embossed them with my Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder. Works like a charm, don't you think? The stickers have a shiny gold outline, so I used my shiny gold MM brads on the LO. Funny how my tastes have changed; I used to only like gold, but now I prefer silver...
On another tangent, I had to have these floral stickers that have been in my stash for 6 or 7 years; honestly I crinkle my nose at the thought of using stickers. This trend was big then, but now not so much? If you have followed me for a while, you may know that I love to use stash...old and new. I have lots of old stash because I couldn't bare the thought of cutting into pretty papers or using up something I loved. I have *mostly* gotten over that because there are so many new wonderful products available for paper crafters.

Martha, I think I can hear you saying, "June, that is adorable!" Thanks, Girlfriend. Happy Birthday!


Supplies:
Cuttlebug embossing folder Swiss Dots
Stickopotamus photo safe vellum stickers
Colorbok Kathy Davis collection: Big Flower stickers
Making Memories: Butternut Twine Plaid paper, Maize card stock, White card stock, Country Green card stock, circle brads in gold, alpha stickers, and Sun Yellow scrapbook stitches

6 comments:

Kay said...

June, this is a very touching, emotional post. Thank you for not only sharing your amazing talent with us but also for sharing your life, as well. You and Martha were extremely blessed to call each other friend. Love and hugs! ♥♥ Kay

Kard Queen said...

This is a beautiful and touching tribute. Your friends are so blessed to have you to enrich their lives.

Roberta said...

Ahhh...Martha, Martha, Martha...she was such a sweet soul. Great tribute to a lovely woman who did live a very full life and there are several of us who had a hard time keeping up with her energy for life. Have a wonderful weekend, fondly, Roberta

Joan V said...

June, I just found your site and read your story of Martha. When people come into our lives, it is for a reason. I am sure she touched your life in a special way and is with you always. You are so lucky to have a group of wonderful women. I love the page you did of your friends. Thank you for sharing your story and inspiring me to do a page of my girl friends and the hobby we share. Have a great weekend.

lauren bergold said...

♥♥♥ HOOOOORAAAAAAY for the four gorgeous horsewomen of the crafty apocalypse!!! ♥♥♥ and happy, happy birthday martha!

an equally loud WAHEY for this fab LO...which...you have given me such a LIGHTBULB MOMENT here: embossing STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!! ...especially VELLUM ONES!!!! holy moly you are a♥GENIUS♥ aren't ya??!?!?!

Helen F. said...

Beautiful post, June and such a beautiful tribute to your friend, Martha. I am sure she is looking over your shoulder and smiling every time you create something this wonderful. {{{HUGS]]]