Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Oh, Happy Day!

   Today is a happy day!  After the storm that wrought havoc along the east coast last Friday, we felt fortunate to have only lost phone and internet...but on Saturday we lost our power too.  My friend, Amy Sheffer, regained her power on Sunday and invited us to dinner and the use of her bathroom so we could shower.  It was divine!  At night we camped out in our basement, where it was less humid and much cooler.  This week dhDH (dear husband, Doug Houck) showered at work and the girls are in summer school, so they enjoyed air conditioning.  In the mornings I drove to a local coffee shop to make use of the wi-fi to catch up on email.  Yesterday I was anxious to ask Amy for use of her shower again, but then our power came back on around 2:30pm!  dhDH and I worked feverishly getting our bedding, snacks, books, magazines, etc. that we used in the basement back upstairs and in its rightful place.

  I don't think I have ever been so eager to be able to wash dishes, wash clothes, and to flush toilets!  The funniest part to me was trying to make cards without the use of my Cricut or to be able to peruse challenge blogs for inspiration.  I don't always use my Cricut nor do I always need a challenge blog for inspiration, but I think my issue was knowing those things were not available to me.  I could still crank my Big Shot :)
  I love this July Artful Delight sketch!  I think my card works for this challenge, but I took some liberties with the vertical strips (left-justified in my card.)  I adore Simple Stories "Summer Fresh" collection.  The 6x6 pad, all of the Bazzill card stock, and twine I used were included in the June Artful Delight card kit; only the white card base and that lone navy Making Memories snap came from my stash.  I also used an MFT scallop die for the vertical strips.  They are actually the scraps from my sailboat card!!!  Good use of scraps, eh?

I am also entering my card at Paper Playtime Die Cut Creations:

Happy 4th of July!  Stay safe and have fun.  We are celebrating with a crab feast and fried chicken :)

22 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Love it...yikes...no power! I think I'd be looking for a hotel with power...I'm not a camper...I'd be dying! Glad your power is back on and that the storm didn't do anything else. Lee-Ann :)

Angi Barrs said...

Love the adorable mix of papers. Have a Happy 4th!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful card! Love that paper stack...your hot air balloon is adorable too. My what an amazing couple of days you've had. Sounds like you also have a great friend =)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So glad everything is back to normal now... those storms sounded crazy! I Loveeeeeeeeee your card!! LOVING the colors and that balloon!!!

Rose said...

so glad you have your power back June!! way to make an awesome card with no power :)

Linda Breedlove said...

Just love this card, June... fabulous mix... the patterns work perfect together.
Thanks for the heads-up on the SOS challenge... I hadn't seen that!

Court said...

SO glad your power is back on!!!

Linda said...

Oh the thinks we do to craft. LOL I was without power for 4 hours yesterday and I couldn't believe how many time I reached for something I couldn't used. This is some crazy weather. We have not had rain for over 30 days. The grass is toast. It is always windy but even that doesn't help when it is 100.
Stay safe my friend. I bet this is all very hard on the girls. Sending hug and prayers that all is well.
Hugs,
Linda

Sherrie K. said...

So glad your power is back on and things can get back to normal. It is amazing how we depend on so many things until we don't have them. I heard the storms were crazy that way. The weather has been so strange. I am so glad we didn't have to deal with no power at the time of the flooding-I would have been in tears..so glad I we are done with that. Hopefully I cam get back to some crafting really soon:)
happy 4th to you and your family!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Dixie Cochran said...

June, I'm glad to hear you have power!! Hope things are back to normal for you.

Your card is fabulous! Your paper picks are spot on!

~amy~ said...

Super fun and fabulous card!

So glad you guys are okay and have your powerback!!

Janis Lewis said...

Oh how sweet; I love it! Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime! :) Janis P.S. I'd love you to play over at my other challenge blog, Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges, where there's a new challenge every Friday!
http://pausedreamenjoychallenges.blogspot.com/

Missy said...

Sounds like you guys have had quite a time! I'm glad you're getting things back up and running, and weren't hit harder, all things considered! Super cute card, I really like the papers (as always!!!) and the double row of scallops!!

Windy Hills said...

Electricity is great and so appreciated when we lose it. Your card is adorable, colorful, and interesting. Another great job!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Glad you got some power, thanks for coming back to play with us at Artful Delight :)

Unknown said...

WOW! What an adventure you had. So glad to hear you power is back up. And your card is just so cute. I love the papers you used.. Hope you have a happy weekend.

Hugs~

Denise Price said...

I'm glad your power is back on! I hope it stays that way.

Your card is great--I love what you've done with those Simple Stories supplies!

Georgie Horn said...

This is a cute card. Come by for a visit and enter to win a giveaway!

bonnie said...

So pretty! ;) Hugs x

Anonymous said...

Well at first I was going to say I'm sorry that you had no power, but any excuse to spend time with Amy Sheffer, how can you go wrong or lament the situation, LOL LOL??

This is awesome, I sooo love the papers!! I like how the balloon is off the side of the page.

Marcia Dehn-Nix said...

June, your card is amazing! I love the Summer Fresh papers and the balloon was a favorite element of mine. So glad you joined us at Artful Delight this month.

Karen B. said...

What a great take on the sketch, June! Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time with your power, glad to hear everything is ok. Thank you for joining in on the sketch challenge at Artful Delight this month!