Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Emboss Resist technique - tips and tricks



  I have tried "emboss resist" before (from 2010 here), but then I have difficulty creating a card with it.  This little 4x4 card actually took me quite a few hours, until I realized I should keep it simple.

  Emboss resist technique:
1.  Choose a patterned paper and a (mostly solid) stamp.  I find this works best with small print patterned paper or a tone-on-tone print.
2.  Ink with Versamark and heat emboss with clear embossing powder.
3.  Ink with a Tim Holtz distress ink.  Use a tissue to wipe of excess ink. (You could also sponge color on with any die-based ink or even use a Promarker/Copic marker).
4.   OPTIONAL:  I took a sheet of text-weight paper from my printer and put on top of the image.  I used my iron (medium heat) very quickly.  This removes some of the embossing and makes it less shiny.  I moved my paper and briefly ironed again.  There is still some sheen, but you could move the paper again and iron to remove it all, if you wish.

My supplies:
(paper:  My Mind's Eye Miss Caroline "Fiddlesticks"; ink:  Tim Holtz "worn lipstick"; Magenta stamp)

  At first I attempted to find coordinating card stock and coordinating Miss Caroline papers to layer and create my usual A2-size card (4 1/4" x 5 1/2").  Here was the problem:  the stamped image (flowers) was lost and even I couldn't discern the image at all...it just looked like a swirl of colors, except when I layered it on white card stock.

  I then tried to find a coordinating card stock, but I could not find the right tone.  I grabbed a scrap of the Miss Caroline paper, cut my larger square layer, and inked a 1/8" border with the "worn lipstick" distress ink.  Success at last!  I added a rub-on sentiment from American Crafts.  Done.

Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sooooooooooo beautiful! I loveeeeeeee the colors!!

~amy~ said...

So very elegant!

snappy scrappy said...

Pretty card, neat technique!!

artfuldelight said...

Beautiful card!!! Love it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think this turned out beautifully! I was frustrated last week trying out a technique and must have tried it 10 times before I got it right lol!!

Unknown said...

Your card looks amazing. Love that embossed background.

Hugs~

Ros Crawford said...

I confess I've never tried this technique but seeing your lovely card ... maybe I should ... I think this card is so elegant and the effect you created is really pretty

Leslie Hanna said...

I have several panels that use this technique as part of my failed homework from one of the recent Online Card Classes. I might need to cut them up. :)