Saturday, October 20, 2012

"This & That" is my cup of tea! (Faux chipboard tutorial)

  I really like my Cricut "Love You a Latte" cartridge, but I have only used it twice previously.  I was searching for an image, and this tea cup seemed inviting.  Originally I planned to make this card for the pink Christmas challenge at Jingle Belles, but my mojo wasn't with me.  Let's call this "the five day card." It just would not come together!  Yesterday I was determined to make it into a card, so I used the current challenges at Freshly Made and CAS-ual Fridays to inspire me.

I chose these two patterned papers and the solid pink (tag) from Echo Park "This & That" collection.  I used Tim Holtz "Rock Candy" on the steam waves and glossy accents on the entire tea cup.  My twine for the tag is Twinery "blossom."

  My ribbon and tag are off the sides of the card; I was inspired by the current challenge at CAS-ual Fridays:  Create a clean and simple card with an element that goes over the edge.

I was also inspired by this Freshly Made sketch:

  I wanted to add my crinkle ribbon across the middle like the sketch, but it competed with the tea cup paper.  I tied my bow, like in the sketch, and embossed white card stock for the strip across.

Faux Chipboard Tutorial:
  I cut the tea cup three times from white card stock, then a fourth time from patterned paper.  I glued them all together, creating a nice thick tea cup!  I love the dimension it has IRL.  Since I used heavy glossy accents to the tea cup, it did not warp the paper due to the thickness.

Happy Saturday!

18 comments:

Lynn said...

I love that teacup...so sweet! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

snappy scrappy said...

So pretty...love the teacup! Lee-Ann :)

Jen Mitchell said...

Pretty! Love the shimmer steam rising from the teacup! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Windy Hills said...

Now how cute is that! This is an adorable card and would also make a lovely gift tag. Way to go girl, your mom must be very proud of you.

~amy~ said...

Awesome teacup card!!!

Karen said...

great card love the red and the senitment on the tea tag super cute

Lisa said...

This is so fabulous, June!! The glossy accents make the cup look like china!! I love the pretty papers!! This is gorgeous!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love love love love the colors and LOVING how you did the steam!!

Dixie Cochran said...

Beautiful! Now I need a cup of tea!

Angie Tieman said...

This is lovely, June! So creative to just let the tag and ribbon peek over the edge, I love it! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

SugarGem said...

So sweet. I like the bold red.

Unknown said...

This card makes me smile. I just adore your tea cup. So cute my friend.

Hugs~

Missy said...

You find the greatest sketch challenges!! This card is fabulous, I really like the red, white & pink and the embossing on the cup looks great!!

Michele Gross said...

Oh! Sooo cute!! Thanks so much for playing along in our Over the Edge challenge. It's a very special week for us here at CAS-ual Fridays, and I hope you're enjoying all the sneak peeks :)
~hugs~
Michele

Court said...

Well, this looks FANTASTIC!!!

Jen Timko said...

Simply fantastic June!! Glad to see you this week at FMS!

Jen Sannes said...

So fun! I love that big, bold tea cup. :) Thanks for playing along with this week's sketch!

Anonymous said...

Look at that awesome ADORNAMENT!!! I looooooove our new word!! And you're a stinkin' genius with that faux tutorial!