Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Send Care Packages to our Troops in Iraq

I have a dear friend, Mary, that I have mentioned quite a few times on my blog. Mary has a brilliant and beautiful daughter named Kate.

Kate sent out an e-mail yesterday to all her friends and family and asked if we would pass it on. It reads :

Hi. My name is Kate. I am 11 years old and I live in northern Virginia, where I am an active Girl Scout. Our troop does lots of community service projects, but I wanted to do one on my own.
I started with the All-American idea of “baseball & apple pie” and added Girl Scout Cookies. I ended up with a cute little package that contains baseball cards, Bazooka bubble gum, an apple-cinnamon cereal bar and a box of Girl Scout cookies – tied up with red, white & blue ribbon and including a pretty handmade gift tag.
Next, I began making a list of the 900 military members in my uncle’s unit, who are deployed in Iraq, and what their favorite Girl Scout cookie flavor is.
Now, I’m asking my family & friends & other caring families to each send 1, 2, 3 or more J “All-American Care Packages.” Each gift tag will be personalized – addressed to an individual soldier and listing the name of the family who ‘sent’ it. Wouldn’t it be great if we could send one to all 900 soldiers? J
It’s easy for you to ‘show you care.’ All you have to do is:

1) Send an email to me at allamcarepkgs@gmail.com. Include your name and the number of packages you want me to send on your behalf. (This way I can get started making your packages right away.)

2) Then, send a check for your donation amount (# of packages sent x $5 each) to:
Show You Care
11259 Center Harbor Road
Reston, VA 20194
(Please make checks payable to: Show You Care)

You may want to visit my website, too:
http://www.freewebs.com/showyoucare
It tells a little more about how I got started on this project, and has a picture of one of the care packages. I’ll also be posting messages we receive back from the troops. Check it out! Maybe one will be addressed to you! J

Thanks very much for helping me show our service members that we do really care.

1 comment:

Amy Sheffer said...

June, how awesome to share Kate's service project info! Wanted to let you know I have an award for you on my blog! And you know what, I JUST now remembered the stamping get-together - I bet you're entertaining your divas right now!

p.s. LOVE the new pic!!