Friday, June 8, 2012

Hope Your Birthday's a Blast!

  Mojo interrupted...earlier this week I started to make a couple of cards and then I couldn't seem to get them to come together, which created "piles" around my work table.  The piles must be contagious because there are two more piles on the floor now too.  Hmmm...ever since we moved to our new house two months ago I have been able to make a card, then clean up after; keeping my craft room neat as a pin in between...*sigh*

  It all started with me trying to make a cupcake card (I need more birthday cards for the coffee shop).  I stamped and fussy cut on some Echo Park "Life is Good" scraps, then nothing.  I just couldn't get the card to come together.

Attempt #2:  I began playing with my June Artful Delight kit (Simple Stories "Summer Fresh"...so addicted to that collection right now!)  So pretty, but I could not get a card to come together.

Strategy #3:  I pulled out some really old stash (vellum and gold metallic card stock) to try to make an anniversary card.  Stuck again.

Tactic #4:  Look for a challenge.  SOS (aka Shopping Our Stash) to the rescue: "Father's Day or Masculine" challenge.  So I decided to play with my Cricut Imagine.  dhDH gave me the Imagine for Christmas, and I have made three cards with it so far...technology intimidates me!  I took it out of the box (where it has been since the move) and manage to figure out how to calibrate it.  Score!  Then I printed out this oval panel, rocket, and an extra "BLAST."  I popped up the extra rocket and sentiment with foam tape.

Shopping Our Stash (SOS) inspires me to pull out really old stuff.  About 4 1/2 years ago I used to use boxes of DCWV cards for my card bases.  They are pre-folded, come with an envelope, and they are white on the inside.  Convenient!  I have probably gone through 5 boxes of these over the past few years, and all I have left is a partially filled box of them.  Shall I challenge myself to use them up?  I get my box out of the closet and find that this red base matches!  As for card design, I created the banner from scraps of Echo Park "Life is Good" (pile #1...unfinished cupcake card!)  Hmmmm...I had 7 more of this DCWV card base in red...and I needed teacher end-of-year gifts...I spent the rest of the day making a total of 8 of these.  I decided my end-of-year gifts will be a box of cards for each teacher.

Thanks, SOS!!!

14 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Great card...I hate getting stuck. I have a few boxes of those pre made card bases. I never use them...hmmmm...Lee-Ann :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeee this June!!! LOVING the colors and the little rocket!!! And loving your ideas!!!

Migdalia said...

Love it!!Especially a Bday card,(shhhh! My Bday was Tuesday,the 5 and I had a BLAST!!!

lauren bergold said...

now *THIS* is a total blast of a "guy card" and i believe it will be impossible for the recipient NOT to have a great day!! (not to mention any teacher lucky enough to get a WHOLE BOx OF "SIMPLY ELEGANT" june houck cards!)

ps: thanks for "SHOPPING YOUR STASH" with us this week!!! :) :) :)

Court said...

You're hilarious. This card is great. I just took what - 4 days off?.? It worked too for keeping the craft room clean. lol. LOVES! See you in 4 days!!!!!!!!

Judy said...

Hi June, great card...
HUgs to you,
Judy

jimlynn said...

Great card and a great way to use some of that "stash"!! Love the image and it makes a perfect guy card. Great design too!
Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Jeepers, lady, you can only imagine how much I looooove this card!! Give me rocket and spaceships any day!! You know what would have been cool? Putting a Wobble behind that rocketship. It's official...I'm going to send you some!!!!

Rose said...

super FUN!!! :)

Unknown said...

Such a cute card.. Your post had me smiling..

Hugs~

~amy~ said...

perfect masculine card!

piles...what's wrong with piles?

I JUST finished moving all my crafty furniture back upstairs to the hallway this morning..it's 8:00 am and I want to go back to sleep...I'm exhausted. Liking that my worktop is CLEAN...EMPTY...that won't be for long.

Happy Weekend!

Tracy said...

i love it!

Shelly said...

What a fabulous card June! I LOVE the colors and I also LOVE SOS. I have accumulated quite a stash:)
Hope you are well my friend!
Have a GREAT day!
Shelly

Alica said...

Great card! Good for you using up your stash - I have to start thinking about some teacher gifts too!
Thank you for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Hugs, Alica ;)