Thursday, June 21, 2012

Stuck on Stickers

  Tomorrow my wonderful dh & I will celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary!  We plan to go out for Maryland crabs...nothing better in our opinion.  We have had crabs in every style imaginable; barbecue crabs (Texas style) are a good alternative, but for us nothing compares to Maryland steamed crabs with Old Bay seasoning.  It is so funny that I thought Old Bay was spicy when I was 5yo (but that didn't stop me from enjoying it!), and now it seems just as tasty and mild as barbecue potato chips.  My children love crab potato chips, but they mostly enjoy licking the Old Bay seasoning off of the chips, then throwing the chips away; it must be genetic :)  Perhaps I should have made dhDH a crabulous card...

  My inspiration came from two places, Shopping Our Stash challenge blog and the new June 2012-May 2013 Stampin' Up! catalog, p.41.  Shopping Our Stash encourages using old stash.  The Bazzill card stock (black, light grey, and dark grey), the metallic gold card stock, the heavy vellum, and the "Happy Anniversary" Class-A-Peel sticker have been in my stash for years.  Seriously, all except  the Bazzill is from the late 1990s.  I "updated" the card with some baker's twine and Imaginisce gems, both of which have been in my stash for a year or two.

  The champagne glasses were cut with my Cricut "Sweethearts" cartridge.  I didn't think I *needed* that cartridge, and now I am so glad I have it.  (Thanks for enabling me, Court!)  Last autumn a customer (Heidi) asked me if I would make her wedding invitations.  I told her I don't do wedding invitations since stationery stores can emboss and engrave beautiful cards at a fraction of the cost; not to mention all of that mass-production.  But she pleaded that she wanted something different.  Heidi has been buying my cards for over four years, so it was hard to say "no."  Then she told me it was a small wedding and that she only wanted 25 invites.  How could I turn her down?  Besides, it was a GREAT excuse to decide that I needed to purchased the Cricut "Sweethearts" cartridge for my collection.

  I saw a sample card in the SU catalog using the "Embellished Events" stamp set that includes a stamp image of a champagne glass and "celebrate" and "congratulations" sentiments; I literally have hundreds of stamps and I really try not to buy more, but I loved the idea of the sample card in the catalog.  I grabbed my "Sweethearts" cartridge and found this cut of a pair of champagne glasses.  Perfect.

  This week's challenge at Shopping Our Stash is "Stuck on Stickers."  My sentiment is a sticker and arguably the Imaginisce gems are stickers?  Perhaps that is a bit of a stretch, but there is adhesive on the back :)  I hope you will dig out your stickers and check out the inspiration at SOS.  I think it is so rewarding to create a card out of ancient supplies.

Happy Thursday!

13 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Happy Anniversary! it is Thursday now!!! jean xoxox

~amy~ said...

Happy Anniversary...that's fabulous!

Awesome card!

bonnie said...

Oh Happy Anniversray to you both...how wonderful congratulations sweetie. Have a fabulous evening and enjoy having crabs....hugs x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Happy Anniversary! I loveeeeeeeeeeee your card! LOVING the flutes and the added bling!!!

lauren bergold said...

what a ♥GORGEOUS♥ card and of course you always ROCK the use of old (but still totally awesome!!!) stash!

♥♥♥HAPPY ANNIVERSARY♥♥♥ to you and dh/DH, i hope you will have a lovely "date" and many more years of wedded bliss as well!

enjoy your "CRABULOUS" (that really did make me laugh!) meal!!! :) :) :)

snappy scrappy said...

Happy anniversary!! Great card. Lee-Ann :)

jimlynn said...

First of all...Happy Anniversary!

Can't think of a prettier card to give someone either. Love the use of the sticker and the glasses are great!
Thanks so much for joining us at Shopping Our Stash.
Lynn

Claudine said...

Happy anniversary June!! Yours is the day after mine (today). I hope you have a great day!!!

Rose said...

happy anniversary!! :)
awesome card :) love the added bling for the bubbles :)

Sherrie K. said...

Thank you for your kind words...Happy Anniversary June!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Leslie Hanna said...

"crabulous" HA! That would have been fun, but this is totally awesome. Can you please tell me why we hoard things? I have tons of those Class A Peel stickers, too.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Unknown said...

WOW! I do hope you had a happy Anniversary.. Your card look wonderful.

Hugs~

Alica said...

lovely card - simple and stylish!
Thank you for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Hugs, Alica ;)